Saturday, November 17, 2012

...in giving that we receive...

I just got back from doing something that I've always wanted to do. Well not necessarily EXACTLY that, but something like it. I went with a friend to deliver Thanksgiving meals to families in need around Amarillo. After starting out the month of November, doing a service project with my coworkers at Eveline Rivers Christmas Project, I feel like issuing a challenge to myself to do things like this more often. And not just in the holiday season! I will make sure I make an effort through this holiday season, so I don't forget about it. If you have any ideas, let me know!

So this is actually a two part blog. In a few short hours, I will be attending the funeral of someone whom I've known since I was a small child. I was privileged enough to get to work for her and later with her. I used to love going into the kitchen yelling her name with a thick Texan accent, "Spoooons!" At least once a week, she would make pudding, chocolate, vanilla, or swirl, but always with shortbread GS cookie crumbles, for me, since it is my favorite dessert out at camp! The service she gave to so many hundreds of Girl Scouts is indescribable. I know her family is quite proud of her life. I'm going to multitask as well this afternoon. My grandparents, are buried in the same cemetery. So I'm going to stop and get them some flowers for Thanksgiving. Well, I'm going to take a nap before the rest of my day. So I leave you with this final thought, "When was the last time you gave something to someone with out expecting anything in return?"

No comments:

Post a Comment