Sunday, January 9, 2011

Admirably purposeful, determined, and unwavering

I know, I know! It's been 2011 for a whole week and I haven't blogged yet. I decided to take a week "reflecting" on my resolutions, goals and plans for 2011. This year, I think my resolutions will be different from years past, but instead of comparing them for you, I'll just share them with you now. (As you know making them public puts more pressure on me to actually fulfill them and 2010 was year number 3 of 3 (I think) to follow my new year's resolution!) Also let me say that these aren't in any particular order, mostly.

I resolve to help those around me each day. I acknowledge that this may mean something different each day, but whether it means being a listener, an advocate, a friend, a court jester, a lunch date or a movie date, I will do my best to improve the lives of those around me. For it is by those around me that my life is improved or detoriated.

I resolve to maintain the recommended visits with all health professionals, eye doctor, general doctor and anyone else that is recommended to me. For without my health I have nothing.

I resolve to participate in the sacrament of confession on a regular basis. Cleansing of the soul is just as important as cleansing of the body. Plus, I think there are some bad spiritual habits that I need to break and confessing them on a regular basis may help me break them.

I resolve to be less dependent on technology. I've already begun by turning my phone OFF, not just on silent, during meetings and church. I'm hoping as the year progresses I start to spend full DAYS with my phone completely OFF. This also includes no texting while driving, no one I know, including myself, is THAT important.

I resolve to not be afraid to say "NO." In the first week of the new semester I've volunteered for TWO committees, in addition to the FOUR extracurricular activities I already assist with and I've also taken on another class. I realize that I do not have to be in charge of EVERYTHING and that (for the most part) there are other capable people out there that can do the job just as well (almost) as I can. This also includes saying no to go spending money when I don't have it.

I resolve to host a Dance Party in my living room at least once a month. Nothing feeds the soul or self confidence like listening to some great, and maybe not-so-great, music while looking like a fool. "You've gotta dance like there's nobody watching, Love like you'll never be hurt, Sing like there's nobody listening, And live like it's heaven on earth." — William W. Purkey. You are invited if you promise to participate without judgement. :)

I resolve to stick with my past new year's resolutions throughout this year. I will be maintaining this blog as a way of staying in contact with those of you that I've deemed important to my life for whatever reason. I will be reading at least one new book a month, and not just the equivalent of one book a month. Reading should help put me to sleep and if I'm not finding time to read even one chapter every other day, then I need to reassess my priorities.

Even though I said these were in no particular order, this last one is my favorite and the one I look forward to reflecting on at the end of this year:

I resolve to become the BEST possible version of myself that I can be every day and taking steps to ensure that nothing is prohibiting me from becoming that version of myself. This includes my health, happiness, relationships and the legacy that I will leave behind one day, if I don't want it shared at my funeral one day, then I shouldn't be doing it. This also includes overcoming failures and missteps that could cause me to give up completely. I will not allow anything to stop me from being the BEST "Elizabeth/Lizzy/Aunt Lizzy/Teddy" that I KNOW I CAN BE.

 Well, there's my resolutions and goals for the year of 2011. I look forward to sharing with you the plans and progress throughout the year. I feel blessed to have a group of friends and family as fantastic as all of you reading this now. When I started this blog two years ago I didn't think I would ever have anything to write about, and then when I found things to right about, I didn't think anyone would actually read this. And even though I'm  LONG WAY from becoming a Blockbuster movie, you should all start thinking about who should play you in a made for TV movie. Of course my life isn't cheesy enough for Lifetime, I don't live on a farm so there goes Hallmark channel and I'm certainly not hip enough for MTV, so we'll have to wait until we find the right market. :)
HAPPY NEW YEAR (a little late...)

1 comment:

  1. Your blogs make me so happy! Can you plan one of those dance parties when I am in town in June?

    ReplyDelete