Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Nostalgia

Hello, I'm sorry that it's already the 2nd of December and I haven't blogged yet! I don't want to keep the readers waiting! I have had a very interesting December already! So let me start by telling you about today!



A couple of weeks ago, our school librarian told me she had been looking through an old Alamo Catholic High School yearbook from the 60's and found an "Elizabeth Pace" and wanted to know if I was related to her. Well I knew that I was named after my grandma, but what I didn't know was that she worked there when my dad and aunt went there. Well, I forgot about it for a while, until today I asked her if I could look at it. It turns out it was from 1968, my dad's senior year and aunt's 8th grade year. So I found one picture of my grandma, a couple of my dad- one of which he is hanging off a horse sideways playing baseball, and a few of my Aunt Mary.

Sorry the pictures aren't that great, but I took them with my iPhone, from a yearbook, so...

Well, the fun didn't stop there today! I was hanging out in the office this afternoon and our superintendent, Bernice Noggler, was in there along with another lady, Darla Mueller, who's helping us with our accreditation. I've talked to Darla a couple of times before cause she's often there in the afternoons when I have an off period- but I'm getting sidetracked, that's not the point of this story. So, as Bernice was leaving she asked me which Pace's I belonged to. I hestitated thinking, "Oh goodness, should I just say I'm not Sam's daughter," but before I could answer she said, "Because we used to have some Pace's over at St. Laurence." I said, "Oh yeah, that's us. Donald and Elizabeth are my grandparents. David is my dad." "Oh yes, I knew them." Well she got a little distracted but I don't meet many people who knew grandma and grandpa so I brought it back around and said, "So you knew my grandma and grandpa?" She said, "Oh yes, I even taught a couple of the Pace's." I named my aunts and uncles and just had to look like a big dork cause I had a huge smile the whole time she was talking. So I explained to her why I was so interested, that grandma had passed away 2 weeks before I was born and grandpa when I was just a year and a half, so I always like to hear things about them. She said "Well, I'll tell you something. If you wanted to know who it was that supported that school (ACHS) and did it well back in those days, people would say the Pace's and (she named a bunch of other names, but I don't remember any of them now- sorry). Those people worked hard to support the school and their children. Not many people do that now, but those people did and your grandma and grandpa were some of those people." (!!!!!!!!!!!!) How cool is that? I always love to hear nice things about my family, and most especially the ones that aren't around anymore.
On to other things, Thanksgiving was pretty good, it was my first "official adult Thanksgiving." The last couple of years we've gone to either Dallas or Houston, so even though I lived on my own, it was unofficial. But this year, since we didn't go anywhere, it was official. It was cool. I know it's not really that big of a deal. I didn't have to stay AT my parents' house, but I got to see them. Oh, except, I let my sister talk me into going shopping on Black Friday. We ended up going to Toys R Us at Midnight which was Madness! Left there after standing in line for 1 and 1/2 hours, to go wait in line at Kohl's so we could be there for their 4 am opening! Which was also madness, people were RUNNING through the store! We left there about 6 am and all went home and went to bed! Did I mention that I hadn't taken a nap all day and my sister worked the Thanksgiving day from about 5:30 am to 7:30 pm? Oh yeah, we were exhausted! Well, when I woke up, I decided to go to Target cause that's where I REALLY wanted to go! And I'm glad I did cause I got almost all of my shopping done after that! Plus it wasn't nearly as crazy nor was I quite as tired!
Well, I don't really have much else to say right now. My next blog will be a few lists that I'm going to share, one of which is a list of ideas for NEXT year's resolution! :)
Have a delightful December! I hope you are staying Warm- wherever you may be :)

No comments:

Post a Comment