Wednesday, April 24, 2013

12

So I started a blog like a week ago, but all I got was one sentence and I never actually saved it. Oops. I'm having one of those weeks, where I've made decisions in the not so distant past not really knowing the reason, but now I do know the reason. That probably won't actually make sense to any of you, except maybe 2 people, only one of whom is actually reading this.
So this week, my mom was diagnosed with Stage 2 Breast Cancer. Breast Cancer is two words, 12 letters, that I've said my whole life. "My grandmother had breast cancer." "My friend has breast cancer." "I'm doing a walk for Breast Cancer." But for some reason adding the words, "My mom has" in front of those 12 letters gives it a WHOLE NEW MEANING. I think even though before it meant something to me, this took away any separation I thought I had from it. There are probably a few of you who know what I'm talking about. Unfortunately, I'm still not processing things very well. Those of you who know me, know this is not an unusual phenomenon in my life. It is still early, so my mom's treatment plan is still not definite. I will do my best to update everyone. I know a few of you got texts or messages from me. I'm sorry to those of you that didn't. I felt odd sending out a text to so many of you, especially if we don't talk often. I also feel that I don't want this to draw more attention to me and my family. Of course, prayers are appreciated, but I just don't feel like some of the posts people put asking for prayers are sincere in nature. I think one of the hardest things is people's reaction to me after the news. I'm not much of a "touchy-feely" kind of person, and for some reason this news makes everyone want to give me a hug or pat me on the back or shoulder. I'm not saying, not to. I'm also not saying that it's not welcome, just new for me. I've also been asked some variation of "How are you doing?" too many times to even count. I just keep saying ok, not too sure if I'm supposed to say something else at this point. People have been offering to do things for me. The ornery Pace side of me would like to start making ridiculous diva demands, but fortunately I haven't done that yet. I'll let you know if I change my mind on that one.
Ok enough about that for a bit. I have some good news to finish this. This weekend will be my 9th State Tournament trip for Holy Cross! We are taking 7 middle school students, the most since I've been there, to the PSIA State tournament at TCU. About 3 weeks ago, we took 13 high school students to the Academic/Speech State tournament. I had a good feeling and had challenged my kids to let me bring home a plaque, which would be a top 6 place. Just as a background, two years ago, when I first started the program back up, we took five boys to State and came in 17th place. Last year we brought 10 kids and placed 9th. So with many of our kids entered in several events, I had good vibes. My kids BLEW me away by placing THIRD OVERALL!! We had three seniors bring home four medals! I can't wait to continue to facilitate their success!!
Well I think that just about wraps it up for me this time. Thanks for reading!
Until next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment